For some bloggers, writing for the internet is a full-time job, other write because blogging fits in with their other occupations, and some write because they want to expose their thoughts or ideas to others by using the wider and fastest writing channel that can be used for communication between people.
Writing process operates not just the sharp brain of the writer but also the body, including the hands that type, the eyes that watch the screen, and the body muscles that keep the body while writing. Not doing it right can lead to problems, such as writer’s tiredness, sore eyes and even back pains. So how to stay creative and happy while writing?
Ergonomics and typing
Ergonomics is a method that helps the blogger in the writing process, because it helps to prevent problems that are caused by prolonged sitting at the computer. This is important because, along with other writer’s interruptions, an incorrect furniture’s position, for example, chair to computer desk, can cause the user pain and sometimes chronic injuries:
- The distance between a chair and a computer table is important for both seating comfort and typing and for the correct distance of the user’s eyes from the computer screen.
- Ideal ergonomic chair is a furniture that you can also adjust the height and the seating angle. The adjustment of height between the desk and the Chair is important in order not to manipulate a position which the muscles straining excessively.
- To support the hands, the user should choose a chair with arms that enable support for the user’s arms during the writing process.
- Proper seating is sitting on, without contact between the back-knee’s portion and the front edge of the seat and without any pressure on knees.
- The back’s lumber should be supported by the back of the chair.
- Shoulders should be limp and elbows are slightly distanced from the body.
- Foot should be placed in full (on the Floor or footrest).
- While using the keyboard or mouse, it is important that wrists are not bent but positioned straight in a continuity line, from the hand to the wrist.
- Because using the mouse placement includes the tilt of the wrist, it is advised to check if using it is necessary for typing.
- The adjusting of keyboard to the fingers is important, both in terms of the distances between the keyboard, and the strength that is required to type:
- The keyboard should be placed in front of the user, and thus the angle between the forearm and forearm is 90 cm or slightly more as the forearms are parallel to the floor, as to prevent excessive strain of the muscles.
- Mouse size should fill the palm while the actions are done effortlessly.
How to view a computer screen
Fatigue during writing process can be caused by several factors such as prolong staring, the efforts to view the screen from a wrong distance and unfitted screen contrast display.
- The recommended distance between the writer and the computer screen is 50 cm to 70 cm, with a screen angled between ten to twenty degrees below the line of sight (to avoid uncomfortable neck position).
Improper room lighting can affect the quality of the writing process, if the light is too strong it could cause damage to the eyes, while a low light tiring them quickly:
- The appropriate room’s lighting for the writing process is not a blinding white light and not a yellowish light, but cool white light, that dispelled from high ceiling lamp that does not compete with the light of the computer screen. It is a good idea to add soft yellow light source for moments of rest.
- The location of the room’s objects is also important for its light and shadow – you should not place the computer in such a way that the light comes from behind it, and not place it where the screen corresponds to the window, which can cause glare.
- In most cases, natural light is suitable for writing process, but if the light is too strong you can always place a curtain.
- To avoid tiring the eyes it is recommended to disconnect from the computer screen to a duration of about five minutes.
- Relaxation is also important to prevent Computer Vision Syndrome that stems execution of the eyes due to continuous and prolonged viewing on a computer screen.
A nice place for the writing process
A method of “less is more” is Feng Shui, a traditional Chinese method that is used to create harmony between objects and is also used in modern interior design. In the most basic way you can say that in purpose of letting the proper energy to stream in the room, you should design it without any unnecessary items. It means minimalism, creating harmony and separating it from non-harmonic environment:
- Furniture – should be slightly curved.
- The writer (for this matter) should not be facing the wall while working.
- Adding shelves and organizers that are easy to be reached will complete the pleasance of the room.
The air we breathe
- It is important to ventilate the room during the day. If the door or window must closed it is possible to add a curtain to block the light or a temporary interior partition that divides the writing room from the outside.
- It is important to know that many problems that happen during prolonged sitting in front of the computer are not immediately felt.
- A comfortable habit to not sitting properly can lead to pressure on the respiratory system which reduces the supply of oxygen to the brain and this can cause fatigue.
- Sitting posture, short breaks, some breathing exercises and refreshing the room can improve the good feeling and cheer you while writing.
A stressful thing for writers is meeting a dead-line, which paradoxical can tweak the writer and reduce concentration.
- When the writing task is within a specified time, it is easy to create an automatic or scheduled alerts (on your computer, a mobile application or a desktop clock). It provides information about the progress in work and gives a place to the writing process.
Mistakes that writers make during writing process can be caused by a cognitive load, which interferes the short-term memory storage capacity.
- One solution is to divide the workload according to current tasks.
- Also, various brain training exercises and free mind games can be helpful for sharpening the memory capacity.
There are many other solutions for writer to improve their ability .The average time spent on writing a blog post is about one to two hours, but sometimes it is a process that lasts from morning until late at night.
Make the writing room your comfortable kingdom and you can choose any method or solution for your writing process according to your own needs.